Our Colours: Black & Yellow Jerseys, Black & Yellow Shorts The club was formed at a public meeting on January 12th, 1877 in the Argyll Arms Hotel with the first match taking place less than a month later. This was lost 4-1 to Vale of Leven at Govan. The club's home ground is the Winterton Park, which is used by kind permission of His Grace the Duke of Argyll. Permission to play here was given in 1878. The club played from its formation in 1877 until 1935-36 when it was banned from competition for eight years. After World War II, the club joined with Furnace to become Loch Fyne-side. In 1957, Inveraray then re-formed and continued until 1972. The club was then wound up in 1979, but re-formed again three years later. Up to 1879, the club took the field in blue knickerbockers and white jerseys, but the club colours are yellow and black. This is one of the club's nicknames, also being known as the Royal Burgh side and Aray Boys. Despite its broken history, the club has experienced considerable success on the field of play. The club have also featured in some of the most famous administrative wrangles involving the Camanachd Association, notably in 1903 when the Camanachd Cup was awarded to Kingussie as Inveraray had refused to travel to contest the replay of the final at Inverness, the first meeting at Perth having resulted in a draw. The Sutherland Cup victory of 1969 was one of the most important modern victories in the club's fine history and the London Shield victory has shown that the youth policy being adopted is bearing fruit. The start of the new century saw the best year in the club's history, when in the 2000-2001 Season they were winners of the National 1st Division League Cup, The Glasgow Celtic Society Cup, The Balliemore Cup and The Macauley Cup In that season they were also presenting with the Marine Harvest Team of the Year, the Marine Harvest Coach of the Year and the Marine Harvest Player of the Year One of the most famous characters in the club's history is Donald Ban Maclntyre who featured in the 1930 team which won the Camanachd Cup and is the only shinty player to have won the famous Powderhall Sprint. Another is Hamish "Skinner" Stewart, a past chairman and member of both the Camanachd Association's Executive and Disciplinary Committee from 1966 to 1975. Alex Blyth, one of the club's great modern players was captain of the Scottish international side which played against Ireland in the 1970's. The team reached the Camanachd Cup Final in 2002 after a 35-year gap but were beaten 3-2 by Kingussie. Two years later in 2004 however the team won the Camanachd Cup Final with a 1-0 win over Fort William, the greatest day in Inveraray's recent history. This bridged a 74-year gap since the club's previous Camanachd Cup success. Inveraray went on to lose 3-1 to Fort William in the centenary Camanachd Cup Final in 2007. The team has enjoyed great success in the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup since the millennium, winning the trophy 9 times out of 10 between 2001 and 2010. The MacAulay Cup was won for the first time in 2001. In 2008 Inveraray defeated Newtonmore 3-0 to win the MacAulay Cup for the second time. In 2009 the Cup was successfully defended as Inveraray came from 3-1 down against fancied Kingussie to win 4-3. At the end of 2009, despite a successful season in the cups, where they won the Celtic Society and the MacAulay Cup, Davie MacPherson retired from his position as manager to be replaced by John Smylie. MacPherson is the most successful manager in the history of the club. Smylie's first success as manager was the 2010 Glasgow Celtic Society Cup in which Inveraray overturned a two goal deficit to defeat Kyles Athletic 3-2. This was Inveraray's fifth successive Celtic Society Cup triumph and also saw Gary and Graeme MacPherson collect their twelfth winners medal each, a new record for the competition. This was Inveraray's 20th victory in the competition.[
© SKWebpages 1999-2016