Visit Inveraray - the Gateway to Argyll
 

NEW - INVERARAY PAST - A compilation of archive material - Click Here

About Inveraray
The New Town of Inveraray was built between 1753 and 1776. It is one of the earliest and best preserved planned towns in Scotland.
It was created a Burgh of Barony by James III in 1474 and a Royal Burgh in 1648 by Charles I.
Inveraray today
Two hundred and fifty years ago there was not a single house here. Across the bay between the present castle and the loch, you would have seen the old castle and the Old Town of Inveraray.
The Old town 1746
The Old Town 1746

The Old Town, already 300 years old, had a church, tolbooth, school, many substantial houses and 43 taverns.

The Old Town might still have been there to this day had not the 3rd Duke and 12th Earl of Argyll decided in 1744 to replace the ruinous old castle with a splendid new mansion.

To ensure that the grounds around his new castle could be properly landscaped, the Duke proposed to move the town to a new site.

Plans for this New Town, one of the first such schemes in Scotland, were drawn up with the first house being built in 1753. Over the next 23 years the town gradually took shape. In 1776 the last of the houses in the Old Town were demolished and all traces of the once flourishing Royal Burgh disappeared.
The old town of Inveraray and the Old and New Castles c1760
The Old Town of Inveraray with new and old castles c1760
Inveraray Castle and New Town in 1824
Inveraray Castle and New Town in 1824
The former "Capital of Argyll", Inveraray is one of the most delightful and unusual small towns in Scotland.

Neil Munro, the well known Scottish writer and author of Para Handy was born here.

For further history read
Inveraray and the Dukes of Argyll
by Ian Lindsay and Mary Cosh.